This report will shed light on challenges, solutions, recent technology advancements, patents & research in the area of Shielding of EV batteries – Get free primer.
Electric Vehicles lay the foundation for a greener and cleaner future. It is estimated that Electric Vehicles will make two thirds of all road vehicles by 2050. Electric culture is the new cool and is being embraced by many. According to an estimation, with traditional vehicles approximately the cost of fuel per year is $1,500 and 4.7 metrics of global warming pollution are produced. An electric vehicle can bring this down to $421 and 2.3 metric tons of pollution.
But this industry comes with many technical challenges, one of them is the battery pack and shielding of batteries against electromagnetic interference.
If the large batteries are pushed to provide high power and supply energy to the car, they produce a considerable amount of heat. This heat must be dissipated or else it can damage the battery. If it is left unchecked, it can cause extensive battery wear. Therefore, the reduced performance with reduced charge efficiency. Also, the thermal runaway of the battery pack can cause obvious safety hazards.
For effective thermal management, it is essential to optimize battery performance and longevity. To do so, shielding can act as an adjuvant. Shielding helps in giving protection against electromagnetic interference.
There is a stream of high current produced at a low frequency between the cables that travel from the battery and engine and the battery and charger. This in turn produces a large magnetic field that affects negatively other components of the vehicle. Therefore, high shielding attenuation is required to give protection to the battery and its circuits from any incoming EMI.
Shielding of EV batteries is done to protect the battery blasting. Extensive work is being done to increase the energy density of the battery. Improvements are made to increase the life- span of the battery and increased cycle performance with the help of shielding.
Emerging Technologies in Shielding of EV Batteries
Exemplary and comprehensive work is being done in the following categories of shielding of EV batteries.
- QUALITY MANAGEMENT: Contamination control, Surface defects, Alarm/warning system
- NEW GRADES OF STEEL: Dual-Phase Steel, Press Hardening Steel, Complex Phase Steel, High Edge Ductility Steel, Advanced High Strength Steel
- COATINGS: Electroplating & Ion Plating, Ultra-hard Coating, Sputtering, Plasma spraying
- CARBON CAPTURE: Oxyfuel combustion, Pre-combustion, Post-combustion
Challenges Associated with EV Battery Shield Packs
- The high weight of casing: It will add to the weight of the vehicle.
- Multiple welds of casing: It will lead to solidification cracks in the casing.
- Leakage: It may lead to wrong grade casing grade selection.
Case Study of Shielding of EV batteries
Advanced high strength steels (AHSS) are the grades that provide extremely high strength. AHSS has been developed so that car manufacturers can increase the safety performance of their vehicles. These grades have helped in continuous reduction in the weight of the structure. These grades maintain the high formability. They offer an extremely versatile range of mechanical as well as technical properties of different parts of a vehicle including the body-in-white (BIW) and closures.
ArcelorMittal has developed a martensitic grade, marketed as the MartINsite® product series. These offer extensive mechanical properties up to 1700 MPa. The latest AHSS grades launched by ArcelorMittal have 2000 MPa. Earlier the UTS was somewhat had 300 MPa.
Continental Structural Plastics (CSP), along with its parent company Teijin, has developed an innovative honeycomb Class A panel technology. They have unveiled an advanced, multi-material EV battery enclosure, too. It can be moulded into any number of CSP’s proprietary composite formulations. The company has two patents pending for its innovative box assembly and fastening systems. It is inferred that a multi-material battery enclosure is 15% lighter than a steel battery box.
Both, the cover and the tray each has been moulded as one piece. CSP has created a system that is easier to seal. The structural foam is used for energy absorption which helps in reducing frame thickness and weight.
According to Jérôme Favero, Head of Automotive Steel Solutions, AHSS has been developed to help car manufacturers to increase the safety performance of their vehicles. Moreover, it helps in reducing the weight of the structure. These grades are known to absorb or resist strong crash loads without compromising their structural integrity. The development of AHSS is propelled essentially by the need has also been to develop light weight vehicles to meet stricter emission regulations.
- Multi-Material EV battery enclosure
- 3M shielding tapes for EV battery
- Selecrify Steel Battery housing
- Contact Signicent for detailed listing
Each year Signicent provides consultancy to hundreds of organizations to help transform their innovations to value.
Companies Extensively Working on EV Batteries
- Northvolt: It is a Sweden-based startup. It was founded in 2016. It works on renewable energy storage technology and also supplies sustainable batteries in Europe.
- Empower -It is a US-based venture, started in 2018. They have advance anodes and cathodes with state-of-art cell technology. They are known for developing high-performance battery systems with advanced abuse-tolerant electrodes.
- Tesla: It speeds up the transition to electric mobility with a full range of easily affordable electric cars.
- Sila Technologies: It is a provider and manufacturer of revolutionary car batteries.
- QuantumScape: It is a renowned renewable energy company that develops solid-state battery technology to increase the range of electric cars.
- StoreDot: It develops a quick-charging battery to replace the lithium-ion components used on phones, electric cars, and other un-wired devices.
The major start-ups profiled in the electric vehicle battery market share include Prietto, Lignano, Cadenza Innovation, Battalion, EnPower, and Leyden-Ja
- Revitalizing Silicon: The Path to Recovery and Revalorization
- Exploring Cable Protection Systems for Modern Infrastructure
- Innovative Applications of Nano Conductive Metallic Inks in Modern Electronics
- Advancements in Superabsorbent Materials: Innovation and Sustainability
- Advancing Technology in Fasteners and Connectors